On Sunday 15th August, the Friends of St Wifrid's Church led 20 DHBT guests on a village trail around Barrow upon Trent.
Dominating the growth of this pretty village are two things that are almost hidden. Firstly the River Trent; only visible at the end of Church Lane and, secondly, Barrow Hall, first built in the 16th century and burnt to the ground in 1956.
The Parish of Barrow used to be a farming community with around 19 farms and small holdings, of which 12 were situated in the village. In the early and mid-20th century, several of the larger estates were sold off, and land was made available for building. We were introduced to many of those buildings built before 1900 as part of the visit.
Highlights included The Row, which was built in 1789 and paid for by parish levy. Originally one room deep with kitchen extensions added later, these were built as workers cottages immediately after the enclosures had redistributed land amongst the landowners. No.16A retains evidence of its days as a shop and No.18 was extended in 1901 to include a bakery.
'Pinfold' is a cottage that was part of the farm buildings for 'St Wilfrid's House', containing the blacksmith's forge. The pinfold is a medieval structure provided for stray animals. St Wilfrid's Church dates back to Anglo Saxon times and was developed by the Knight's Hospitallers between the 12th and 16th century.
You can find out more about the village and the church on their website: www.stwilfridsbarrow.org